|Kung Pao Tofu|
If you like the taste of spicy Kung Pao dishes, this is a good vegetarian improvisation. Tofu is an excellent source of protein and if a calcium based coagulant is used, an excellent source of calcium as well. As always be careful about your soy intake as too much Soy can cause hormone imbalance and most Soy in North America is genetically modified. Get your protein from a balanced variety of sources like Beans, Legumes , Soy and Dairy.
1. One block of Extra Firm Tofu
2. 4 tbsp corn flour.
3. 2 tbsp corn starch.
4. 1 tbsp soy sauce
5. 1 tbsp chili paste (or to taste)
6. Dry roasted peanuts
7. Green onions
8. 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
9. Dry seeded red chili for garnish.
10. Oil to fry.
11. 1 tbsp sesame oil (or oil of your choice)
1. Cube Tofu into bite sized pieces.
2. Sprinkle corn flour and toss to coat evenly. Let it sit for up to an hour.
3. Deep fry tofu in frying oil till golden brown. Let stand on paper towel.
4. In a dish combine corn starch, soy sauce, ketchup, Chili sauce and 2 tbsp water and bring it to a boil. The mixture will look more like baby food than a sauce.
5. When the starch is cooked, add the fried tofu and mix till it is coated well.
6. Fry peanuts and seeded red-chilies. Garnish along with cut green onions.
7. The Soy sauce should add enough salt, but feel free to add salt.