I accidentally ended up making this and it turned out great! Made this with Textured Soy Protein, left over coconut chutney and special secret ingredient. Follow along.
1. 1 cup textured soy protein or Nutrella
2. 2 medium sized onion sliced
3. 1/4 tsp cumin powder, chilli powder, tumeric, garam masala
4. 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
5. salt to taste
6. 1 tsp soy sauce
7. 1 tsp ketchup
8. 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
9. 3 tbsp roasted channa dal (பொட்டு கடலை)
10. 1 tbsp urad dal
11. 1/2 cup grated coconut
12. 1 green chili
Coconut Chutnet: (which I had made earlier and had to use it at the end of the day as coconut spoils quikly).
1. Roast urad dal until it is golden.
2. cool and grind to a paste with coconut, roasted channa dal and green chili.
1. In a microwave safe disk add textured soy protein and soy sauce and cook for 5 min. The soy sauce adds a bit of color and saltiness to the soy protein.
2. After it has cooled , squeeze out the liquid.
1. Add 2 tbsp of oil and dry onions. Add a bit of salt so that the onions soften.
2. After about 5 min, add ginger garlic paste and sautee for 5 more min.
3. When the mixture starts to turn brown add cumin powder, chili powder, tumeric and garam masala. Mix well and sautee. Patience is the secret to get this dish to taste terrific. Add a tsp of oil at this time. Yes it takes a bit of oil, it is a very rich dish.
4. Add the coconut chutney and sautee on low heat until oil seperates.
5. Add Ketchup, Sriracha sauuce and salt. Mix well. The ketchup gives a nice tangy-sweet flavour that helps to bring the masala together. It also coats the soy chunks and help stick the spices to the soy chunks.
6.Remove from heat. Serve with streamed rice or paratha or dosa.