A simple yet flavourful dish which will warm you up during the cold winter months. Perfect for fall as well.
1. Carrots - 3 large.
2. Onion - large
3. Rice - 2 cups - Basmathi or Jasmine rice (raw rice).
4. Garam Masala - 1 tbs
5. Turmeric - a pinch
6. Butter/Oil - As needed
7. cloves and cardamom to taste.
8. Salt to taste.
1. Shred carrots. Food processor comes in real handy.
2. Chop the onion.
3. In a pan add butter/ oil and when hot add cloves and cardamom. Crack open the green shell of the cardamom when using fresh ones.
4. Add onion, garam masala and turmeric and fry till its translucent.
5. Add the carrots and fry till carrots are cooked. Note: do not add salt. Salt makes the veggies give out water and you would end up with a soggy mixture.
6. Remove from fire and let it stand for about 10 min.
7. Cook the rice separately. Ideally in a electric rice cooker with some butter and salt so that the rice grains doesnt stick to each other.
8. Mix the carrot mixture and rice along with salt to taste.