Veg Buritto : A fun way to add veggies and protein for vegetarians. It takes a bit of time and practice, but in the end its very fruitveggieful :-)
1. Tortilla - (I actually used my leftovers from smoked salmon wrap).
2. Sour cream
3. Shredded cheese
5. Bell peppers - red, yellow and green
6. Firm Tofu
7. Canned refried beans.
9. Lemon juice.
1. Cut the onions and the peppers julienne.
2. Drain and wrap tofu in a paper towel so that most moisture is absorbed.
3. Cut Tofu into strips , about half an inch wide and 3 inches long.
4. Sautee tofu on low hear with a bit of olive oil until fairly dry when pressed with splatula. Set aside.
5. Sautee onions and pepeprs with a bit of olive oil on high heat without the salt. High heat carmalizes the onions and peppers and gives it the grilled look. Do not add any salt, salt breaks the cell walls of the veggies and releases the water. this also makes the veggie loose the crunch the cell walls provide.
6. Cook the rice and season it with lemon juice and some salt.
7. Warm the tortilla on a pan to prevent it form cracking when you roll it. On the warmed tortilla add some rice, beans , sauteed veggies and shredded cheese with a dollop of sour cream on top.
8. Roll into a burrito and enjoy.
ps: Seperate blogs comming soon on how to cook rice and roll a burritoo.