A late Sunday afternoon in the winter and I needed something rich to warm me up. I tried making some Chilli extempore and ended up with a flavour that I wanted to remember. This recipe was born by accident. As an ethnic Indian when I start to cook I start chopping up some green chilli and reach out for my garam masala. This time I did none, instead ended up making the most authentic chilli I have ever tasted. ofcourse my 'authentic' benchmark is one of those special value menu fast-food chillis.
1. I can 14 oz red kidney beans.
2. 1 can 28 oz canned tomatoes with juice.
3. One large onion.
4. 2 fresh tomatoes.
5. 200 gms of firm tofu. I used Italian flavoured tofu from PC® Blue menu. Plain tofu is fine too.
6. Dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese to garnish.
7. 2 tsp chilli powder. Paprika is best.
8. 1 tsp of cumin powder. I freshly ground from cumin seeds.
9. 1 cup textured vegetable protein .
1. In a dutch oven, fry the onion till golden brown.
2. Add tomatoes and fry till tender.
4. fry the tofu to brown the sides.
5. Add the tofu to the dutch oven along with the kidney beans and tomatoes. Do not drain the beans or tomato.
6. Squeeze the water out of the tvp and add to the dutch oven.
7. Add the paprika/chilli powder and the umin powder and simmer for about 20 min.
8. Add salt to taste and let stand for 30 min. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese.
Nutritional Info (calculated from ingreditents):
Tomato - 191 cal
Beans - 453 cal
tofu - 520 cal
Olive Oil - 80 cal
Tvp - 290 cal
Servings 6, cal per servings : 255, protein per serving 22g. Even if you had a double serving like I did its only 510 cal with over 44g of protein.